How to be an efficient Supervisory Officer?Rule of law –
When we embraced democracy, there was a drastic shift in the role of people who
are placed in various positions of governance -- not to rule but to serve
people with ‘rule of law’. Nobody has power to overrule a law in force. The
only option is to repeal or amended or make a new law.
- Be sure about your jurisdiction and
authority by reaching out to the current signed document
- Make sure to have a signed document as to
how many persons are placed under your direct charge
- Distribute your work among them through a
detailed work allocation order
- Ensure your subordinates too distribute
their responsibilities to those under their charge, if any
- Please be reminded that your 100% time,
talent and resourcefulness are to be contributed in different proportions
to different subordinates and not to do original work.
- Please spend almost all your time in helping
your subordinates to work for you.
- Within a week's time of your taking charge,
issue a fresh allocation of work depending upon your assessment of every
- Don't decline to receive representation or
communication addressed to you or handed over in person even though the
matter does not fall within your purview. You may either transmit it to
the concerned authority or the paper may be returned back as XNDis with
reasons for returning.
- Have the updated Manual of office procedure
and see that every aspect of work is done only according to the procedure
- Try your best to be a role model even in
matters of minor importance - punctuality, using office space,
- Complete reading of News Paper, saying a
prayer or meditation [if you have a religious bent of mind] well before
the office time starts.
- Let all your decisions be rational on the
basis of documents placed in file and never respecting to persons.
- Facts are fragile and once altered even a
bit, it ceases to be fact any more. There is no alternative to the
truth. There can't be any compelling reason whatsoever.
- Administer according to the provisions of
the law and procedures. The administrator or law enforcement officer has
no power to show sympathy or mercy which is available only to the one who
imposes any punishment.
- Give due importance to communications
received from superiors, from the public or from the staff and none of the
papers be allowed unattended for more than a couple of days.
- Please have a humble mindset that you are
simply the best among the equals in government service.